The New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School
Founded in 1993, Sci High is a public school that welcomes any student interested in exploring the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). We believe our city will grow stronger when every New Orleanian can contribute to our wellbeing and innovation through the tools of math and science.
Each one of our city’s young people has the potential to succeed. Every day, we open the doors of opportunity in these fields, guiding our students as they imagine the possibilities for our shared future. When every student can access an education designed to leverage their curiosity and surmount their challenges, our young people will thrive and our city will rise. You make it possible for Sci High to provide educational experiences that help students see the potential their futures hold.
Sci High is a community that values individuality and unconventional thinking. Your donation allows Sci High to provide unique course offerings with an emphasis in science and mathematics in a supportive environment of learning and respect that promotes self-study skills and enriches post-secondary pursuits.
- STEM Concentration: Sci High classes apply STEM solutions to tackle real-world challenges through hands-on projects, such as investigating genetics through breeding crosses in Biology and modeling flood risk in Environmental Science. Sci High’s STEM concentrations include Biomedical, Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing, and Computer Science. To practice and master critical thinking skills through the application of scientific methodology, students participate in local, regional, and national science fairs.
- Career & Technical Education (CTE): Successful career paths into high-demand, high-wage jobs can begin with CTE. Sci High increases options for students through programming that culminates in Industry-based credentials, supporting students to be more competitive in the job market and the college application process. In fact, Sci High offers students to opportunity to earn up to nine credentials, more than any school in the state of Louisiana. Classes in the Career & Technical Education Department include Makerspace, Graphic Design, NCCER Core+/Carpentry/OSHA, and Journey to Careers.
- Paid Student Internships: Sci High Students at every grade level are given the opportunity to participate in paid summer internship and mentoring programs with Sci High’s bevy of community partners. Students can apply their learning, create professional networks, and develop soft skills for career success with the support of wrap-around services designed to build the soft skills that are critical for career success. Internships expose students to new possibilities, while they hone their interests and build their professional networks.
- Rigorous College Preparation: Advanced Placement classes in math, science, English, social studies, and computer science, all of which are open to any interested students who have passed the prerequisites. Colleges and universities grant credit to students who score a 3 or higher on their AP exams. Sci High’s Dual Enrollment program encourages students to enroll in college level courses and local post-secondary institutions and earn high school Carnegie and college credit at the same time. These programs prepare students for the rigor of post-secondary education and give them a competitive edge in the application process. Other college prep services include regional college trips, college counseling and direct family support to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Exceptional Children’s Services: Aligned with Sci High’s mission, the ECS Department, which serves students in need of special education services, aims to ensure that all ECS students participate in rigorous educational opportunities in order to achieve their personal post-secondary goals. To this end, the ECS department employs the overreaching strategy of full inclusion, whereby individual needs are met within the context of the regular education classroom. The approach preserves the dignity of students and encourages all children to achieve their fullest potential.